About Irving J. Pflug, Ph. D.
Dr. Pflug has been involved in research, education and consulting in the application of engineering to biological systems for more than 50 years. He has published widely in the engineering and microbiological applications area in the food and pharmaceutical industries, and has worked in a consulting capacity for many companies in the food and pharmaceutical industries. From 1967 to 2000 in Minneapolis, MN, he was responsible for the research program of the Environmental Sterilization Laboratory, at the University of Minnesota. From 2000 to date, he has been involved in the private Environmental Sterilization Laboratories.
Dr. Pflug has served as a consultant to the NASA-AIBS Planetary Quarantine Advisory Panel, a member of the United States Pharmacopoeia (19) Advisory Panel on Biological Indicators, and on other governmental and industrial advisory bodies.
Member, from 1967 to 1997, of faculties of the University of Minnesota: Department of Food Science and Nutrition and the School of Public Health. Emeritus as of retirement in 1997.
Member of the faculties of the University of Massachusetts from 1948 to 1954 and Michigan State University from 1954 to 1967.
Private Irving Pflug, US Army, circa 1943.
Teaching at University of Massachusetts, circa 1948.
- Civil Engineering, ASTP Certification - 1942 - Ohio State University
- B.S. degree in Agriculture - 1946 - Purdue University
- B.S. degree in Engineering - 1948 - Purdue University
- M. S. - 1950 and Ph. D. - 1953 - University of Massachusetts
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers
- American Society for Microbiology
- Institute of Food Technologists
- Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists
- International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering
- Parenteral Drug Association
- Sigma XI
- The International Association of Food Protection
- The Society for Applied Bacteriology
Publications (follow this link)
At present, Dr. Pflug is an Emeritus Professor of Food Science and Nutrition, and operator of the Ponderosa Farm in Otterbein, Indiana.
Ann Nicholas and Dr. Pflug, Minneapolis, MN.
“A World Traveler”: Dr. Pflug in front of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin. September 2004.
Dr. Pflug’s three lovely daughters: Nancy, Annie and Jane.
Dr. Irving J. Pflug and his son Mark Pflug, May 2018.